02 August 2009

From Heavy Finance to Passion for Fitness

After a nostalgic chat with one of my dear friends from MIT the other day I thought I wanted to devote this week’s blog post to her. Meet Tingting Peng – a fascinating and lovely person who decided to start her own business after a few years in the intense finance industry. Iron Lotus is the name of her training concept and fitness philosophy, you can read more about it at www.ironlotusfitness.com. This is part of her story:

What were you doing before starting Iron Lotus?

I was working as a financial analyst with a US-based hedge fund, researching trade ideas for a Hong Kong-based portfolio manager. Prior to that, I spent half a year at a start-up hedge fund and two years as an investment banking analyst with Morgan Stanley.

What inspired you to start Iron Lotus? What’s your fitness philosophy?

The concept of Iron Lotus came from several directions. My fitness philosophy is that the most effective exercise program is one that consists of a balance between building strength, endurance and flexibility while doing something that you enjoy. I picked up yoga practice to destress from work and to complement my stretching regimen post running competitions and immediately felt an improvement in my overall health, endurance and was able to breathe easier especially during longer runs. From this experience, I saw a disconnection between the muscle building weight-based resistance training and machine-based cardio exercise at the gyms and the grace, agility, and mental clarity offered by a strong yoga practice. Iron Lotus Fitness aims to integrate all of these aspects of exercise on a strong foundation of body awareness introduced through yoga postures. Also, I am a huge fan of the outdoors and Hong Kong is actually a great place for people who enjoy being in nature, though most people I know rarely ever venture outside the city center, which is why I hold some of my classes outdoors. My ultimate inspiration is to be able to share my experiences and hope to offer anyone, who is looking for a change in his or her lifestyle, the tools and knowledge to live better, healthier and happier lives!
Goddess pose. "My fitness philosophy is that the most effective exercise program is one that consists of a balance between building strength, endurance, and flexibility while doing something that you enjoy."
So how does your MIT education help you with your new life?

Looking back on my MIT education, I think all of the late nights I spent studying really taught me the importance of staying motivated through difficult situations (all those exams, projects, deadlines, and papers...). The Management Science classes I took also taught me creative thinking in addition to strong quantitative skills. Starting Iron Lotus Fitness has thrown a variety of challenges my way daily, but I feel I am more than prepared to handle them because MIT's "fire hose" trained me to be a creative problem solver who's able to succeed under pressure. Those tough classes at MIT taught me not to be scared of failure, so I am really approaching growing the Iron Lotus business with the same energy and passion that got me through the Institute.



"Those tough classes at MIT really taught me not to be scared of failure"

What about food? From what I recall, you used to eat lots of junk food when we were in college. How do you eat now?

Yes, I definitely went through my Freshmen 15 phase. But these days, after working in finance the last few years, I have learned the importance of a balanced diet to my overall health and energy levels. I eat three regular meals everyday, starting with a power breakfast (fibrous cereals, multigrain breads, with yogurt, and fruit smoothies infused with whey protein), followed by a satisfying lunch (fish or a little meat, vegetables and some carbs), then a light dinner (usually vegetables and some soup). I also snack throughout the day, carry healthy nuts (walnuts/almonds) with me when I'm on the go, eat apples or bananas between workouts and meals for energy, and stick to one coffee per day.

Do you have a favorite superfood?

I love bananas for a quick energy pick-me-up and also walnuts for muscle recovery after working out.

Did you recently do a triathlon? How was it? What advice do you have for someone who’s thinking of doing it?

I did a triathlon last November; it was an amazing experience and so much fun! Not only was it a physical challenge, having to train all three disciplines (swimming, cycling and running), but it was also a huge mental challenge, pacing myself, believing in myself to maintain stamina and endurance, and getting over the hump of wanting to give up when there was some pain. I trained and competed with a few girl friends, which I would recommend to anyone who's thinking of doing a triathlon, because having the constant motivation from your friends, even though you are all competing separately really keeps you going! Also, my motto for training for endurance events is "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional". This is where the mental hurdle comes in. Just remember to take one step at a time, eat right, sleep well, listen to your body, rest as necessary and have faith in your own ability to achieve.

"My motto for training for endurance events is 'pain is inevitable, suffering is optional'"

Do you want to learn more about Tingting and Iron Lotus Fitness? See Tingting in action, showing some of her training recommendations on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9qkCNYS7Gc

Digg StumbleUpon Facebook Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Really like your blog! great mixutre of subjects and you are truly an inspiration both professionally and with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Anna! really appreciate your feedback and let me know if you have any blog topics you'd like for me to explore. i'm going to a series on my favorite superfoods soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stainlesssteelpipefittings is a manufacturer and exporter of Stainless Steel Bend, Stainless Steel Forged Fittings, Stainless Steel Flanges, Stainless Steel Pipe and Stainless Steel Tube.

    ReplyDelete