28 April 2009

Chasing the runner's high!


Just went for a 6-mile run today…it’s my 2nd day in a row! I think I am getting into the groove of things. When I lived in Boston back in college, I used to do a 7.8mile loop around the Charles River from MIT 77 Mass Ave to the Museum of Science bridge across to Boston and back around the Harvard Wheatstone bridge. I would consistently hit runner’s high every time at about 3.5 miles into the run and I was so addicted that I absolutely had to run each and every day, including days when I had to pull all-nighters studying for some insane electrical engineering exams. Running for me is one of the rare times when I can be totally alone with myself in my busy lifestyle. I never listen to music, I sometimes think about my day or my life-issues, or just get lost in the rhythm of it all. One day, after I finished my 7.8 mile loop, I was so energized that I wanted to do it again and I did (a total of 16.6 miles)…this was in May in Boston (probably the only month during the school year when it’s NOT snowing outside) and the sun was setting (my favorite time to run because I’m not much of a morning person and I don’t want to get that sports bra tan) and there were many beautiful white sail boats floating on the Charles River. I was on such an incredible high that when I finished my 2nd loop, I stopped only because my brain told me “okay this is ridiculous if you actually do an impromptu marathon”. I really miss that adrenaline and am still in the search of the perfect 7 mile loop in Stockholm…let me know if you have any suggestions.

I tested the Casall ergonomic support tights for the first time today on my run. 

They are absolutely amazing. First off, they really made me look much tighter and firmer. I’d also like to rename these pants as the “Make me look thinner and super toned” Pants. Throughout my run, I almost felt weightless, they held my muscles in place and but felt super comfortable. I have tried so many different running tights over the years and highly highly recommend INVESTING in these tights. After rigorous designing, analysis and testing, Casall has created these unique high-tech running tights with both muscular Compression and Shaping in key areas. These tights were designed exclusively for women to optimize the running experience.

This is what the tights do for you:

Muscular Compression:

·       Reduces lactic acid and assists blood circulation

·       Controls muscle vibration

·       Lowers risk of injuries

·       Shortens muscle repairing time

Shaping:

·       Special panels with high-performance power stretch fabric were specifically cut and placed to provide extra shaping and support for a woman’s body.

·       This garment is constructed with unique XLA® fibre blend fabric.

·       This fabric has exceptional fit and hold of high-perfor mance stretch and lasts year after year while maintaining its shape.

They are not cheap but you will not regret this INVESTMENT. I also wear them when I travel with a comfortable hoodie.


This is my perfect after run snack. Ezekiel cereal mixed with fat free Fage Greek yogurt or Almond milk. I haven’t located this in Stockholm yet but you can buy it at Wholefoods in the states. Ezekiel 4:9. It is actually a bible version (no, seriously!) where it says “Take also unto thee Wheat and Barley and Beans and Lentils and Millet and Spelt and put them in one vessel and make bread of it…”  I guess what happens is that when you mix these ingredients together, a reaction happens and they are sprouted. Sprouting is the only way to release the vital nutrients store in whole grains. Therefore, this cereal is a potent nutrient-dense food with beneficial enzymes that are activated to become a living food. It is also delicious, and you must try it! About ½ cup gives you 23% of your fiber intake and 17% of your daily protein intake. Together with either a cup of Almond milk  (high protein, low calorie) or fat free Fage (because I love it and it always reminds me of waking up in the morning as the sun rises in Santorini Oia eating greek yogurt with honey and it’s also good for you), sprinkle a few Tibetan goji berries (I have been eating these since I was six years old when my grandfather used to give it to me soaked in herbal tea). You can buy goji berries in Stockholm at Blueberry, and it is highly dense in macro and micronutrients and phytochemicals. 

Now that it is super nice outside, no more excuses not to run…so happy running!!

 

Digg StumbleUpon Facebook Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shauna, cool blog. I'm sure you've discovered running through Djurgarden by now. Go all the way out to the edge and add Gardet and you'll get 7.8 miles easily. /HL

    ReplyDelete