04 May 2009

Things I miss about New York


Okay it’s been about 2 months since I officially moved to Sweden. The sun is out, which has this really strange effect on Swedish people. First off, Stockholm seemed to have doubled in population in the past month. Secondly, I notice that that people are sitting outside even when it is freezing (at least freezing for me). I find it really interesting that people are outside with blankets just to get some sun! Thank you for the suggestions on the various running loops. I have found a couple I like and just did the Djurgården loop earlier today.

Here are a few critical things that I miss about the New York. If you can help me locate these items or similar services in Stockholm, I would be so grateful:

1) Wheatgrass shots

These are widely available at practically every juice bar in New York, at every Jamba Juice
and at Equinox gym food bars. I am so used to taking them on a regular basis. I have heard they are available at one health store in Stockholm but when I tried to visit on Sunday after my run, it was closed… should I start planting my own?

2) Blueprint Cleanse






This company delivers sets of 6 freshly squeezed juices to your doorstep daily for 3-day, 5-day, 6-day detox cleansing. I am a personal believer of detoxing about 3 times a year and this service is so convenient. After a cleanse (I usually do Level 3 for 5 days), I feel totally revitalized and full of energy with the added bonus that you typically lose some weight.


3) Wholefoods


This is my favorite grocery store. In fact, it doesn’t even belong in the class of grocery stores because it is a whole experience of its own! Here’s my short list of foods I can’t find in Stockholm that is readily available at wholefoods (link as many of these as possible): Ezekiel cereal, coconut water, Bragg Liquid Amino, the entire Kashi line, Matcha Japanese Green Tea powder, Lärabars, freshly cut and cubed watermelon, Manna sprouted bread, Fage fat-free Greek yogurt, Tofutti Ice Cream

4) Starbucks


I miss being able to order my daily “Grande Soy, 3 pumps of Vanilla, Free-Pour Latte” in the winter months and in the summer months, my “Ice Venti Passion Ice Tea”. Ice tea is hard to find in Stockholm and many coffee shops do not have soy milk here…Don’t get me wrong, I can certainly enjoy an authentic cup of real coffee, whether it’s Italian or the really strong Swedish coffee. But I spent my adolescent years in Seattle and my first job in high school was as a Barista at Starbucks so I am unfortunately addicted to this branded corporate coffee.


Pinkberry, please expand to Stockholm! I love their frozen yogurt! Okay, it is definitely overpriced and has great branding but I am still willing to pay $3.95 for my little slice of healthy heaven for 98 calories. When the chain first opened in New York (originally from California and a copycat brand from the true original Red Mango from South Korea), the line used to be as long as a 45 minutes wait. Now they have expanded to more locations and it is a convenient pick-me-up! Digg StumbleUpon Facebook Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment