28 May 2009

My Couture Form of Exercise: Gyrotonics

My dear friend and talented couture designer Zang Toi introduced me to Gyrotonics/Gyrokinesis. Above is a picture of Zang Toi together with Lance Armstrong. Zang has always been a huge inspiration to me and has put together several fundraisers and events for the Lance Armstrong Cancer Foundation. We actually met through our personal trainer Dave Janik and have always shared our mutual passion for exercise and wellness. About a year ago, we were grabbing afternoon tea at the St. Regis when I started talking about getting into pilates. I used to be a dancer when I was younger and wanted a form of exercise that helps me build smaller muscles and create a longer, leaner body. Zang Toi wrote on a napkin “Jackson 2124593369” and told me to make the call…

I’ve been doing Gyrotonics with Jackson for about a year now and it is truly amazing. It is a beautiful and intense full body workout that I am constantly improving upon. After each session, I feel a true difference in my body and I only wish it was more widely available. I’ve tried pilates as well and although people often compare the two, they are definitely different. Gyrotonics is made up of 360 degrees and three dimensional movements that engage all of your muscles throughout your body as the same time. The machines are fascinating to me..they make look like medieval torture devises but it’s the closest I feel to being on an adult playground.

Created by ballet dancer, Juliu Horvath, who after seeking asylum in the US from Romania, developed Gyrotonics as “Yoga for Dancers”. Gyrotonics/Gyrokinesis integrates movements from yoga, swimming, gymnastics, and tai chi. Gyrotonics uses a series of machines that are developed and designed by Juliu Horvath. Today, it is a living practice that is constantly changing, improving as Juliu and the gyrotonic community grows and evolves. There is a very rigorous training program that one has to go through in order to begin teaching Gyrotonics. I took classes at Gyrotonics Manhattan run by Sebastian Plettenberg who also at one point trained Ari Weller, the Philosopher of Fitness that I blogged about.

Here’s a video of me doing a series of arm exercises. It is filmed by my friend Zang so I am unable to explain why he decided to tilt the camera 180 degrees half way through it.



Here’s a video of Zang doing “arches and curls”, the basic exercise that typically starts a Gyrotonics workout, to open your spine and chest.

Finally, here’s a video of Jackson, our superb trainer doing a series of leg exercises. You must watch this, it’s really incredible and I’m working on getting there!



For more information go to: http://www.gyrotonic.com/

Digg StumbleUpon Facebook Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment